Tribute CD - Eminence BrassCD Available in the online shop
David Childs is a founder member of Eminence Brass in which he is joined by Philip Cobb (Principal Trumpet London Symphony Orchestra), Richard marshall (Principal Cornet Black Dyke Band) & Owen Farr (Principal Horn Cory Band). 'Tribute' represents the quartet's first CD release.
The word 'Tribute' can be defined as an expression of gratitude or praise: something said or given to show respect or admiration. This CD is launched to coincide with the centenary of Gilbert Vinter (1909 - 1969), who without doubt was one of the most important composers to grace the brass band movement. In addition to his groundbreaking test-piece compositions for brass band, he also contributed three chamber music gems in the form of brass quartets which appear on this recording. Also included on this recording are original quartet compositions by five other important and well respected composers. We hope that this recording will encourage other brass band musicians to perform in a chamber music setting and rekindle interest in some fine original compositions which are rarely heard today.
1. Capriccio Roger Payne, 7.06
2. Divertimento for Brass Quartet, Philip Sparke, 8.01
3. Elegy and Rondo, Gilbert Vinter, 8.37
4. Bagatelles Op. 63 John Golland, 9.41
5. Fancy's Knell Gilbert Vinter, 6.59
6. First Quartet for Brass - Prelude & Capriccio, Edward Gregson, 6.44
7 Alla Burlesca, Gilbert Vinter, 6.01
8. Variations on a Theme of Paganini, Joseph Horovitz, 8.19